1.02.2013

We survived 2012, now on to 2013!

WHAT A YEAR! I am actually amazed we made it. Okay, that is a little dramatic but I can't think of a year that has tested me mentally, physically and especially emotionally as the last year has.  This is about the time when you can begin thinking "I don't know how Rob does it"...I often ask the same thing.  When I am upset I often say things like "I am not cut out to be a military wife" or "good thing my 20k/year college education is doing me a lot of good these days".  I also say a lot more irrational things when I am upset, but I will leave those between me, Rob and Duke and spare you my ridiculousness.  The reality is, life is good. 2012 was good.  Was 2012 easy? NO.  But neither was 2011, 2010, 2009...etc.  Point is, I could list all the things that went wrong in 2012 but I will only go over a few, for comical reasons really. For instance, did your husband get the mumps 2 weeks before you move to Europe? Did you hit the worlds largest raccoon on your way to SELL your car?  Did you drop your wedding band down a hole in your floor and have your husband make "surgical" tools out of household items to retrieve it? The last one happened on Monday, about 12 hours before we rang in the new year...he actually got it out, like the hero that he is.  Sorry I couldn't resist mentioning those things, way too good not to bring up.

Without question, I will never forget 2012. I will actually list some highlights, they are way more fun. 
  • Finding out we were moving to Belgium and making waffles while we looked up where it was and what language they spoke, important things like that.
  • Meeting our niece Sylvia for the first time when she was only a few weeks old
  • Traveling to Missouri SO many times to see friends get married (I think 4 after our wedding!)
  • Helping Payton celebrate turning 2, the cutest hula girl ever
  • Our weekend in Vail, CO. A much needed break from life and a glimpse of what a honeymoon would be like
  • Being with friends and family the last few weeks before we left for Belgium, a whirlwind but such a special time for us
  • Arriving in Belgium, completely exhausted, but ready for the next chapter
  • Getting to see many great places like Brussels, Bruges, Amsterdam, Garmish, Ostend etc. 
  • Having our first visitor, my brother Andy
  • Celebrating our first Christmas, just the two of us. I think every couple should do it at least once, we missed our families but it was also great to relax and not let any of the holiday stresses get to us.
And on to 2013! I am not much of a resolution person, never has worked for me.  But I have been thinking about things that I want to accomplish in 2013, some big and some small, some fun and some daunting.  
  • Read more, even more than 2012 which was a good reading year for me
  • Volunteer 
  • Continue to learn french
  • Turn 30...is that an accomplishment?
  • Make ideas a reality (very broad, but I have been struggling with wanting to do things and actually making them happen)
  • Stay fit, laying off the delicious breads and sweets and do more yoga and continue to run
  • Get organized...feels like I am typing a cuss word
  • Travel more!  Over the holidays we sat down and went over our travel goals for the next year, only a few set in stone...the rest are for me to plan- my new favorite thing to do.  All could change depending on visitors too.  Also, any other must-see places you have been that we shouldn't miss while we are here?
    • Berlin and Prague- Rob's dudes trip in February
    • Venice- booked for March
    • London- May and maybe new years next year
    • Spain- June
    • Oktoberfest in Munich- September
    • Ireland- October
    • Skiing in France or Germany (hopefully this spring, if not next Christmas
    • France- Paris and Normandy
    • Belgium- Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne, Ghent, Antwerp
    • Wish list- Canary Island Cruise, Dubai, Croatia
Well, now I am just giddy about 2013 and will probably spend the rest of the day making travel plans...and not worry about practicing french and organizing....oops. 

Wishing all of you the best in 2013. We are missing everyone back in the states so much. Who knows...maybe we will have to plan a trip back there too!

I never did mention anything about Rob's birthday on here.  He turned 29 on December 19th! We had a great day except for popping a tire...but that was 2012 and we are moving on :)  Oh and I love him, a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment